So… I have been MIA the past week, but that’s because I was working on a mini makeup project, which I am excited to share, but I can’t yet. But, expect something really nice next month cos’ I really worked hard for that! Haha! My tongue is itching to spill the beans! Patience, patience..
But for the mean time, heres another staple product in my skincare basket up for a review! I’ve been using this toner for half a year now, after my best friend in the makeup world, Yona of “Your Makeup Call” introduced it to me. If you read my blog previously, you would notice how I put extra effort in minimizing my pores. It is still a work in progress, and I’m glad I am slowly finding the products that does their magic for the said problem area. Now let me welcome you to Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner!
Whew! (Gasps for breath!) That was long! I’ve been using this on and off for about 8 months already. On and off because, when I try other skincare products, I would stop using the others from my ‘basic’ routine just so I can review it properly. If you use this religiously, this big bottle would last you 3-4 months. So far, there is still 1/4 from the bottle left as of time being haha.
AVAILABILITY: Any Healthy Options outlet. It may also be bought from Purebeauty.
PRICE: About P300 around $6.00 for a huge 475mL bottle. They have a travel sized one that costs P75 if you want to test drive the product but I suggest you buy the bigger one – you can never go wrong! Plus, it’s cheaper that way!
This toner has very simple ingredients. It has 14% Natural Grain Alcohol and Witch Hazel. Despite being an alcohol based toner, I do not find it drying for my skin. Witch hazel, being the main ingredient have a lot of skin benefits. When I checked my skincare stash, I noticed that most products I have, contain Witch Hazel. It is a natural astringent and is extracted for many medicinal purposes. It is used to treat swelling, inflammation, sores, bruises, psoriasis, eczema, blisters, insect bites, after-shave in-growns, wounds, and ACNE! (That’s a lot of medicinal purposes for the skin right?) True enough, after I started using this, I experienced less break outs. I still get an occasional zit whenever my “time of the month” arrives but it dries it up easily. I am not saying that it can cure your acne. It is just a great preventive measure for your zits. It can dry up a few ones, but I wouldn’t really advice this for those with severe acne. Before using this, I had acne prone skin which the derma treated. But this product lessen my trip to the derma because it prevented me from having zits. As for the pores, unlike other ‘pore products’ I used, this didn’t tightened them asap. But it cleanses the dirt that is seated deep down which also prevents the pores to open up more. If you really want tighter pores, I’d still suggest masks (mud/clay masks to be exact) to be used once a week. It really does a great difference with the pores!
- It has an earthy scent crossed with tequila. I can’t really explain how haha. I already got used to the scent now, and it doesn’t bother me unlike before though. But for first timers, this scent may not be pleasing to you. You can remedy this by putting essential oils that’s beneficial for your skin like tea tree oil if you can’t stand the scent.
- It does refine my pores, but does little with minimizing them – or is it just my skin? But I feel it tighten overtime – it is just a slow process when it comes to that aspect.
- It is suitable for all skin types.
- Non-drying. You don’t get that squeaky feel like other toners give. You know that feeling like all the moisture just got stripped down from your face after using? It isn’t like that at all.
- Prevents my acne prone skin from breaking out.
- It has a lot of uses aside from being a toner per se, which I enumerated above already.
- Very affordable!
- Doesn’t sting and doesn’t break me out.. Oh! I just said that countless times already.
- It isn’t harsh, or too strong. It doesn’t contain much chemicals in it which is a good thing IMO since complicated ingredients complicate my skin as well. I guess my skin just likes things to be simple in order for it, not to break out.
Would I recommend this? HELL YEAH! This is actually my HG toner up to date. I mentioned a while ago that I use this on and off when I try out other products. I do that to review products properly, usually for a month or so just to see how other products work. But, out of all the other skin care things that I keep coming back to, THIS is one of the few. Right now, my skincare consists of Bactazil/Celeteque/Snoe Awesome Poresome/Garnier as my facial wash then Dickinson’s toner then I moisturize with Celeteque/Clinique/Jason aloe vera gel. For my acne products I use benzoyl peroxide and acne lotion from the derma. You see the trend? I get to use a lot of other products alternately except for this toner. I guess, I haven’t found a good sub for this one yet.
Have you used this toner? I’d love to know how you feel about it!